Our First Date
Eleven years ago today, Merri Dad and I went out on our first date. (Of course, I wasn't a "Merri Mom" then!) Before that point, we had known each other for almost four years through the Bible College we both attended. Our friendship started on very basic levels. We first met each other in a big group meeting and we all stood around talking. It was strange because we both had the SAME plaid pullover sweater! Over the next couple of years, we became friends and would talk in class, sometimes we would study together, and then he was my T.A. in a couple of the classes I was taking. (And yes! I earned all my A's. He didn't just give them to me!!!) I remember studying in the library with him and we had some really good conversations. For whatever strange reason, I remember thinking, "This guy sounds too much like what I would like in my future husband....I better stay away from him!" He asked me out a couple of times, but I turned him down for various reasons. We both dated other people. After he graduated from college, he moved to Colorado for a year. When he came back the following year, during my senior year, I was very happy to see him. I was soon to be graduating and I knew that all my friends were moving away. Merri Dad and I decided we should get together sometime. At that point we never did get together. A couple of months after I graduated from college, I remember taking a prayer walk. I did "guy inventory" and was thinking about all the guys I knew and their qualities. When I thought of Merri Dad, I realized he was a GREAT guy with great qualities. I prayed at that point, "God, if you want anything to ever happen between us, please have him call me." I did not want to pursue him. I wanted him to pursue me. It was about the same time (we later compared notes) that he surrended to God his dream to get married. It was about at the same time, that he felt the Lord put my name and face on his heart and he felt that he should call me! (Amazing how God works!!) Because I had already turned him down twice, he waited a couple of weeks to call me. When he did call me, he asked me to go with him to a coffee house because some friends of his were going to be there and one of them was playing some songs. So...eleven years ago today (on July 24th) we went on our first date. We didn't really consider it a "date" at the time, but more a hang-out. (Looking back, we realize that was the beginning of something special.) We had a great time and talked and talked and talked. We talked so much (of course, I say HE was the one talking and he says I was the one talking!!) that we missed our exit and were almost headed to the border!! But, we finally made it to the coffee house, met up with his friends, and had a great time together.
that is wonderful! what a great story. it is so great to see how God weaves the circumstances of our lives. it is so fun to look back and see how God was there working the whole time. thanks so much for sharing! i would love to hear more of your story. what was did life bring to the Merri family next?
ReplyDelete